Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Today I am thankful for..........

my health, and my desire to be healthy. I am forever amazed by the human body. What a blessing to be able to hear and see, run and dance. I am thankful for the Word of Wisdom and believe in it with all my heart. I have always had desire to learn more about health and nutrition. I am certainly not an expert and would probably have many experts who might disagree with me, but there are some things I have learned during my health journey and I thought I might share them with you.

-i have learned to focus more on my health than on my weight
- not all fat is evil
- i would rather eat REAL butter coming from a cow, than from a spray bottle made in a factory, with a whole lot of unknown ingredients
- i believe whole heartedly in organic, but can't always afford it, so I pick and choose which foods I believe are important to be organic.
- no more of the "white" pasta, bread, sugar.
-Always whole wheat, bread, and pasta...for more nutrients, fiber and protein!!
-beans really are a magical fruit!!
-more vegetables and a little less meat.
-eat fresh, local and "close to the farm"
-all things in moderation, all though I have no desire for soda or candy even in moderation.
-exercise has to be a part of my life. Not just for my physical well being but for my mental health as well.

Now don't get me wrong.....Thanksgiving is fast approaching and you will find me eating my moms famous "WHITE" rolls. I will have more than one serving of her perfect pumpkin pie, probably with way to much REAL whipping cream. I won't be eating anything in moderation, and most likely I will not be exercising on that day, and probably not the day after either. I never said I was perfect, I just said I was thankful for my desire to be!!

2 comments:

tiare said...

you inspire me Mern! so awesome! we've switched from white to whole grain/wheat and are trying to get organic as well! as for the no white sugar...what's your substitute in recipes? have to know!!!!!

Kacey said...

I love this!! You are such a cute writer! I love reading your posts! Hope you have a great holiday!! We all miss you!