Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Hadley




















One day I was looking at Cache Valley Classifieds and came across a post about a family that was getting rid of their Golden Retriever.  They had to move and would not have a yard so they felt like she would be happier somewhere else.  It is the breed of dog that we wanted so I decided to go and meet her.  I'm not sure exactly why because to be honest I was not ready for a dog, but I thought that maybe since it was not a tiny puppy and it was potty trained that maybe she might be a good fit for our family.

When I first met her I knew that she would not work. Ava was scared and in tears and the dog was all over the place, so excited, hyper, jumping on me, and leaving hair everywhere she went. I drove home and told Matt that over the phone that it wasn't going to work.  Later on when the owner texted me to see if I was going to want the dog, I told her it just wasn't a good time for us.  As soon as I hung up the phone I started to doubt my decision. I also knew there were other people interested in her and if I didn't act fast someone else might take her.  So I texted her back and said I was pretty positive I wanted the dog but I needed a few days to prepare for her. 

We went on vacation the next few days to St. George but as soon as we got back they needed us to take the dog because they were ready to move.  I was a little apprehensive and kept thinking "what have I gotten myself into."  When the owner dropped her off she was pretty hyper and crazy but she was also a really good listener. It didn't take her long at all before she was playing fetch with Marie.  She was so much better then I thought she was going to be.  Her name was Charlie, but I decided to change it to Hadley.  She caught on to that name as if it had always been hers.  The boys got home from school and were so excited to meet Hadley. They neighbors were here everyday after school to play with her as well. She has been Marie's best friend and a good little babysitter for her when she is outside playing.  Ava was the one I was worried about because she was so scared the first time she met her, but she really likes her now, and she drops food off her highchair for Hadley to eat......we call her our "vacuum dog."  

I admit her shedding drives me a little crazy, as well as her excessive licking, she is also big and all over the place, sometimes a little to excited for my taste, but even with all of those little annoyances she is one loved dog. She has become a source of companionship for my kids. She comforts them when they are sad. She sleeps in Marie's room when she is scared.  She distracts Ava when she is having a little tantrum. She cuddles with the boys and plays with them when they need a friend.  She really is a good dog. We love our Hadley, and I am so glad she has become a part of our family.

No comments: