Thursday, August 12, 2010

Five years.......but I say ten

I kept telling Matthew how excited I was to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, and how this was the BIG one!! He kept reminding me that it's only been five, and felt bad thinking that our five years together has seemed like ten. I realized that I was saying ten because that is how long we have been together, as best friends. It really has been a great ten years, but a more important five.
We had a little luck with our five year celebrations, and I like to think it's a preparation for great things to come!

We decided to go to Park City, where we spent our Honeymoon. Matt had reserved a very cute inexpensive room at a lodge near a ski resort. We were so excited to have three days and two nights to ourselves. We checked in and entered our quaint little room, wanting to just relax. I went to turn on the air conditioning because we were on the third floor and it was ninety something degrees outside, and even hotter inside. We soon realized my sweet husband did not check for air conditioning before reserving the room, because what kind of hotel wouldn't have AC......ours! It is of course a ski lodge used mainly for the winter months. I quickly began to panic. I tried not to be a complainer but I explained to Matt that the purpose of the trip was to relax, and there would be no relaxing in such a HOT room. I could tell he was a little worried, but I realized again why I loved him so much when he calmly said "don't worry it will work out, and if it doesn't, we will have some great memories to laugh about." However, I was not laughing. I called the front desk and asked if there was anyway to get out of our reservations.

The hotel manager said he would work on it and then call me back. Quite awhile went by, and we started to call other hotels, only to find that most were booked or way to expensive. So I called the manager back hoping he didn't cancel the reservations yet, because we had nowhere else to go. He said he was working on an upgrade, but it was a ridiculous upgrade and he might get in trouble for it. So I started to work my magic, telling him how we had twin boys and this was our anniversary, and we really needed a break, and so on, and so on. So he told us to pack our bags and come downstairs. He then walked us to our new hotel room, a five hundred dollar upgrade.

A full kitchen with granite counter tops, a view of the whole valley, two stories with three bathrooms, three t.v.'s, leather couches, with a separate living room and dining room. Most importantly......AC!!! So we paid sixty dollars a night for all of this. Matt said we should call them back and ask if they had a bigger t.v. available, and more pillows.....we didn't:) Really though I think Matt felt a little guilty taking such a nice place for so little, but I like to think of it as a little blessing that may just be preparing us for some good things to come.

We had a wonderful time and took full advantage of our little getaway to do all the things we don't usually get to do, like talk to each other without interruption, and sleep in as late as we want.

The next day was cloudy and rainy and we didn't even need air conditioning, but we weren't going to let the manager know that.


HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!!

7 comments:

Lindsey and Zach said...

Oh man that is awesome...I love how things like that happen to people who need the break the most, and you two totally deserved that upgrade for sure. I miss you guys and we need to do something soon, maybe we can take a trip up to Logan soon, Zach is in and out of town, so I need to plan it ahead of time, so there are no last excuses not to. Love ya

Brimaca said...

Wow!!! I wanna go away with just Caleb. But I don't want to leave my kids with someone who is not family, and we live in the middle of nowhere. Our anniversary is today. We have swimming lessons with the kids. Exciting, huh?! I think we'll go see a movie tomorrow and maybe dinner...if we're lucky. :)

tiare said...

Happy Anniversary!!!
I'm glad you got such an awesome upgrade. I agree with Lindsey....you BOTH deserve it! Goes to show it never hurts to ask!

Jennifer Lyn said...

That sounds like fun! And what a SWEET deal! I think of it as ten years as well because we were dating for 5 and then married for 5! Glad you had a good time.

Amy Piller said...

You both deserve it! Thanks for help yesterday. I took him in he has a head cold poor guy:(

jessi said...

Nice! I'm glad you got a nice get a way!!!!

Nicole said...

wow! That's an awesome story! I could only hope a vacation of mine would go that well.