Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I'm still learning.

It has been nine months since we have lived in a place that we could call our own. Just recently my boys have started talking a lot more about our home in Florida. Every morning while making breakfast they ask "momma is this yours kitchen?" Again and again I explain to them that we are living at Grandma's house until Daddy is done with his big test and he finds a job. Of course sweet Grandma Lorz always shouts from the background "of course this is your kitchen, this is your house." I love living with my mother-in-law, and I love having family around. I have learned that I can live with a lot less and that I don't miss much of anything that is in storage right now. However, there is a few things that I miss.......deeply.

I remember days when the last thing I wanted to do was cook dinner, or clean the bathroom, or organize the garage. I remember times when I let the laundry pile up far too long, and the family ate cheerios every morning for a few weeks in a row. I remember not wanting to pick up the boys toys, or vacuum the stairs. I remember overwhelming feelings of housework, and laundry, cooking, and grocery shopping, on top of church callings, and twin toddlers, and of course the famous last words of my husband saying, "well I am off to go study!" I remember it all too well, and it is exactly what I miss.

In the last couple months I have realized more than ever how much I love being a homemaker. I think it is one of the few things that I am good at. I don't claim to have a whole lot of talents, but it makes me feel good to know that this may be one of them. From a young age I had a very clear idea of what I wanted my home to be like for my family.

You know that feeling you get when you have worked really hard all day, making nutritious meals for your family, and homemade bread with a smell that lingers into the night, cleaning your bathrooms and kitchen, organizing closets, and throwing out clutter. Putting kids to bed and curling up on the couch with a good book and the light of a candle flickering in the room. I'm not saying this is what I did everyday, but this is what I miss. I have always had this strong desire to change, create, and decorate the space around me. I miss having that "space" of my own to create.

This is not a boohoo post. I am very thankful for this experience. I will never look at my work as a mother the same way again. It makes me feel good to know that even at a young age my boys miss having their own home, I like to believe that they do remember the feeling that was in our home. When the time is right we will have a place of our own, and instead of waking up each morning overwhelmed by all the house work that needs to be done I will be happy just having a house of my own.

9 comments:

Miss Amanda said...

I am glad you are close by and that Matt's mom is letting you live with her...I bet she loves it! We do need to get together and very soon! What about the weekend?

Brimaca said...

There are days I really love it, and days I don't. I wish I could learn to appreciate it every day. There's a chick in my ward who said (after nine years of marriage), "Only in the last year or two have I began to appreciate my role as homemaker. I no longer mind the cleaning and organizing." I think of that often and try to get myself to remember that when it gets mundane. Which is how I feel tonight. I am procrastinating dinner clean-up right now. :)

Heidi said...

I think I know a little of what you're feeling, although I am a terrible homemaker but I really enjoy trying! We are going to build a new house and are living with my parents. I am enjoying how I have less distractions. I play with GK more because I don't have another bathroom to clean or an office to pick up. I am the same way about living with less. We've been here 2 months and there are only a few things I've even thought about. I'm glad you guys are closer! We'll have to get together sometime.

No Big Dill said...

You can come over and organize my garage and throw away my clutter and do my laundry!!!

Yes, there is nothing like having your own place. It will come when the time is right. Sure miss you guys.

Jennifer Lyn said...

Hey I can totally relate with this! We lived with everyone (and maybe their dog) last summer, which turned into 6 months. When we moved out to Cali, my home was cleaner than it has ever been in our married life! I love it and you will always appreciate life after it gets back to normal. Hang in there! Also, it is so amazing how it affects our kids! They really know when it is not their own place, no matter how old they are.

Tasha said...

I was just telling Kenny yesterday that he shouldn't ever let me complain, because I already have everything I ever really wanted! We are so blessed to stay home with our little ones!

Mrs. JM said...

loved this post marianne! i was recently considering a similar post about how much i enjoy all the same things you're missing right now. the other night i was so pooped but there was still a load of laundry sitting in the washer. i sent jake to bed and stayed up waiting, folding, putting away. once i finally made it to bed i laid there listening to the dryer tumbling in the next room and then thought of my children snuggled up in their beds, exhausted from a day of playing hard. i knew they were freshly bathed and in clean pj's. i knew they were comfortable in the environment their mom works hard to maintain for them. i felt lucky and i felt proud. i hope you get your duties back soon!

Susie said...

Beautifully stated.

Noel Family said...

Wow, talk about looking at a glass half full! lol, just kidding. Very impressed, wish I could look at it the way you do. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a mom, wouldn't change it for anything, but there's definitely good and BAD days :)