Friday, August 8, 2008

A 4th of July celebration....without any fireworks:(

Watching cousins decorate their float for the parade. I don't know why boys are sooo obsessed with dirt.


Nathan looking very innocent, but what you don't see is everytime Daniel tries to even touch the pole, Nathan is ready for WAR!

Many of you may know that my favorite holiday is the fourth of July. I have always kind of thought of it as a stress free holiday. You don't have to worry about gifts, or expensive dinners, or how much time you spend with each family, etc. etc. I love the carefree day full of lots of barbeque, water fights, outside games, parades, friends, and family. This year however was a little different, and I soon realized that for me, gone are the days of anything being stress free when you have toddler twins. I spent most of the day chasing around my babies as they each spent most of the day either going seperate ways or of course wanting and fighting over doing the exact same thing. I don't recall ever sitting down one time the whole day!! I do recall continously asking family members to keep an eye on one of the babies for me while I went chasing the other one. Things would have been a lot different had Matt been able to come because he is such a big help. Anyway the day was fun but hectic and as it got closer and closer to the babies bed time I started to realize that I could not physically, emotionally, or mentally, handle keeping them up three more hours so that I could again chase them around the park, this time in the dark, while they probably screamed from being frightened by the fireworks, and then screamed some more because they won't let anyone but me hold them, and then screamed even more because they hate when I try to hold them at the same time. So when it turned 7:00pm I started getting them ready for bed and they were out by 7:30 for the rest of the night. I sat down with an aching body and a sigh of relief, and then I just started to cry as guilt flooded over me and I thought of myself as probably the only mother in America that night who deprived her children of the best part of the 4th of July(the fireworks) because of being just too tired to deal with them. I guess looking back now I sound a little dramatic but it really was a very fun, hectic, crazy, and yes little sad, kind of a day. Oh well, there is always next year and hopefully then Matt will be around so we can team up on the little rascals!

7 comments:

Crystal said...

You're such a great mom! At that age they don't really care about the fireworks and I think it is a lot of work trying to take one child to see the fireworks I can't imagine having two. Brock didn't really watch them at all instead he tried to get all eyes on him as he tried to do flips and everything else. So I wouldn't feel bad at all cause your an amazing mom and it would be hard to have two active boys (the same exact age) to chase around!

Alayna said...

Awww...don't cry about depriving them. They won't remember anyway. There is always next year...

Noel Family said...

Actually, Mason was in bed for the 4th as well :) I figured that he wouldn't remember them anyways. Which they won't :) So don't feel guilty.

Brimaca said...

The wouldn't have remembered it anyway! Dang you are stinkin' cute. :) Such a sweet mommy.

Miss Amanda said...

Marianne, you are such a good mom! Don't get too stressed. You are very patient and loving and your kids appreciate you!

Ginny Tanner said...

I only have one little guy, and my husband was home and we didn't give fireworks a try either. It doesn't get dark here until 9:30 or 10PM because we are so far north, so it just wasn't worth it. No worries, your sanity is much more important.:) It looks like you had an exciting month in UT! I know I say it every time, but your boys are growing up so fast! They are so cute!

Nick and Stacey said...

You are funny! Two years ago when Mitchell was almost two we deprived him of the fireworks...there were two of us...and only one of him, we were just too tired to deal with it! So I totally understand! Don't fell bad, you are an awesome mother...and they don't really know any different anyways! Looks like they had a great day!