Friday, November 18, 2011

turning 31....but still in my 20's




I am not officially in my 30's until I turn 32, it's just my rule.


I was spoiled by my husband this year. Maybe it's because it's the first year since we have been married that he has had a real job. Or maybe it's because last year when I turned 30 I was so sick in bed pregnant that I didn't want to do ANYTHING. I remember finally agreeing to a movie and a cold slushy drink from Sonic (but NOT dinner) we went and I ordered my cold drink actually going inside Sonic(who does that) to put in my special requests for my drink. It had to be made a very particular way, I'm sure they were annoyed and I even explained to them that I was pregnant so they might understand. We then went to the movie....or tried too. On the way I told Matt to hurry and head for home. When I arrived I spent some good quality time in the bathroom throwing up, while he went to Redbox to get a movie. I then spent the evening of my birthday in bed just as I had spent the day earlier and the weeks before. It was a miserable birthday. Matt sure knew how to make up for it.


I got to go to the Roof. Not just in love with this place because of the food, but because of the atmosphere. A temple view with quiet piano music playing. You don't realize how noisy restaurants are until you go to the Roof. When they seated us there were beautiful roses waiting at my seat. It was wonderful....just to be with him. He also made sure all my cowgirl stuff dreams came true. For sure nothing I needed but things I have been dreaming of for a long time....like my looooong awaited cowgirl boots. I feel so blessed, and still a little guilty. Heaven knows that money spent on me could have been used on many other practical and useful purposes. But I am thankful and feel very loved.


I have learned a lot in 31 years, but mostly just realized I have A LOT to learn. I thought I would share 31 random things about me or that I have learned so I can look back and laugh at myself years from now.


31- I am a huge Taylor Swift fan. I don't think I would start crying if I met her like a silly 12 year old.......but you never know. You also might just find me actually spending time cracking the secret codes from her album cover lyrics(this is sadly true) I also internally believe I was her first real fan and that my mentioning to Matt that she was going to be HUGE after hearing her first song....is really why she is so big:) Your welcome Taylor!!


30- I love to bake bread and try not to buy it anymore......and it makes the house smell sooooo good.


29- I am so lucky to be able to say that I have the best mom and mother-in-law EVER!!


28-I have to work really hard to be good with kids. I have never been great with them...... ever. However, I am ALL about babies and toddlers.....and always have been.


27- I have learned what simplicity means and think I will always strive to have more of it in my life.


26- I am not as layed back about things as I always thought I was.....I tend to worry and over think a lot.


25- I never really yelled at my children.....until two little boys turned four. I am really working on my patience.


24- I am horrible at math. I almost didn't graduate from college because of a statistics class and I never would have passed my math classes without the patience and help of my brother Ryan and my husband.


23- I rarely ever let my kids listen to their music while driving. From the time they were born I decided that having them strapped into their carseats was the little ME time I had. so I listen to whatever I want and I enjoy it, and I don't feel guilty about it. And now they know some country songs better than they know their ABC's and I am starting to rethink my philosophy:(


22- The older I get the more thankful I am for life long friends.


21- My favorite part of the day is in the morning when Marie wakes up and I bring her into bed with me and feed her, and then we both fall back asleep together and cuddle for a little while.


20- Sometimes I feel sad thinking about what my boys may have missed out on as babies because they were twins. Never thought anything of it before until having just one baby at a time.


19-Never knew how much I loved chocolate until I decided to go without sugar for 28 days.


18- when I am stressed I picture myself riding a horse on a mountain....it's always beautiful fall, and the air is crisp. It works every time.


17- I have a phobia of large statues...mostly people statues. I have been known to cry in certain statue situations. Large heads and faces are the worst.


16- I love to exercise at a Gym or in a class. But not really on my own at home....then I kind of dread it.


15- I want to be better at keeping in touch with others. I really stink at it. Which is weird since people and relationships mean the most to me.


14- I have always loved to decorate. I have found it a fun challenge trying to make all of our married life rentals feel like home.


13- I have wanted to be a marriage and family therapist since the 7th grade.


12- I LOVE going out to eat. I think Matt and I would be seriously so rich if we had all the money we have spent on going out. However we really only do it once a week.


11- I really try hard not to judge others. I really believe everyone is facing their own battles and I often remind myself of that at times when I am frustrated with someone else.


10- I often wonder if it is possible for anyone to love their children as much as I love mine.


9- I don't watch the news anymore. I can't handle sad stories, especially if they have to do with children. It tends to effect me for a really long time. So I just stay uninformed and happy:)


8- I think I am married to the funniest person in the world and sometimes wish people knew matt the way I do, but I respect the fact that he is kind of a shy reserved person around others.


7- I try to live a healthy lifestyle and sometimes I think it's because I really want to be healthy when we retire.....I think about retirement way tooo much.


6- Having a little girl has been a lot more fun then I ever dreamed it would be.


5- I honestly believe Matt has a special gift and talent when it comes to his interactions with babies.


4- I could nap for hours during the day and still go to bed just fine at night. Although I am really lucky these days to get any nap at all.


3- I believe that If I could wake up at 5:00am everyday I would be happier in so many ways. It would solve many stresses that I have during the day as well. It is a true goal of mine. One day I will be a morning person, I promise.


2- I believe in Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz. They have taught me a lot.


1- I will never take having a job for granted EVER. I find myself thanking heavenly Father many times during the day for the opportunity to be able to provide for our family. I know just how fast things could change and how difficult it is for so many people right now.


And one more for my 30th year that I have now past. And one for the year to come.


2- I love my mini van.....extremely love. Matt laughs at me because it is a 2003 and has NO bells and whistles at all!! And yet for me it is a dream come true, and I do not want anything else.


1- I am not talented in very many areas. There is nothing about me that would stand out above somebody else. I don't have a great sense of taste, or style, or amazing cooking, crafting, gardening, speaking, or writing skills. I am however a wife and a mother. For this I am so thankful, and if it is the only area in my life in which I improve, I am ok with that. It is for me the most important thing I will ever do. It is not just something that takes up all my time, but I believe it is the one thing I was given time for.

8 comments:

Lindsey and Zach said...

You stand out to me Marianne! and I know you are talented in so many ways. You have been such a great friend throughout my life and especially now as we are both raising children and we seem to both relate on keeping the "simplicity" of life.

Tasha said...

Happy Birthday Marianne!

I totally agree with a ton of what you said...and I almost NEVER watch the news either! So depressing!

I don't agree with you not standing out. You definitely have a way of making people feel good. You have an amazing laugh that is totally contagious, and you are absolutely beautiful! There is no way a girl like you can blend into a crowd! :)

Melanie Chambers said...

That's the best post ever. I love having blogs so we can stay "in touch". You're such a neat neat person.

Emily said...

I love that. Reading that makes me miss you and my mind was flooded with such fond memories! Oh I love you and miss you. Lets be better about keeping in touch

Amy Piller said...

Those were fun to read about and hear your thoughts on yourself. I already know how great you are, A best friend a girl could have. You forgot to mention how much of a great friend you are though so I will here!!!! Love you!!!!

Brimaca said...

You are one of the most talented people I know. Of all the people I've met you have such a gentle way about you. You make everyone feel loved and cared for. This post was awesome. We have a lot of things in common. As I read I kept thinking, "I've learned that too!": And to tell the truth I am relieved you have yelled now. I think of you and your non-yelling and get displeased with myself. I rarely yell these days but it has taken me a long time and a lot of concentration to get there. Oh so many, many things we have in common!

Astorga Crew said...

You are one of the most amazing persons I know in so many areas. And if you think you've had to work at playing, etc. with kids - then you must have perfected it, because you are one of the examples I look to in this area. You are so real and just fantastic all around!

tiare said...

WOW! i've loved learning about you Mern. you are an exceptional example to me of someone who is positive, loves to learn, is really funny, a great mother and a devoted wife.
and since when did you become a blogging machine? i have about 10 posts of yours to catch up on....i'll do it here:
your daughters eyes are filled with curiosity. she looks like she wants to learn everything right now!
i want you to make that "tape city" in my living room....for me!
i feel bad for anyone that might want to date Marie...they will need to pass off the Dad test and the TWO big bro test!!!