Friday, October 9, 2009

My first born


I got really upset at Nathan today. It was the second day in a row that he woke his brother up from his nap after Daniel had only been asleep for 15 minutes. Daniel doesn't go back to sleep and then of course Nathan never does either. It makes for a long day. I guess I should be use too these little incidents since they have been going on since they were born, but I am not, and it never gets easier for me to deal with these issues. I was angry with Nathan and he knew it. I felt like one of those crazy moms I see yelling at her kids that I have always prided myself in NOT being. Today I was her. I didn't feel better after loosing my temper. In fact nothing is EVER made better when you act out in anger. I feel embarrassed and I am just thankful that children really don't have a long term memory until the age of three. I guess that gives me six more months to become the mother I want to be:)


When my children are older and talking with their spouse or friends or whatever, I want them to be able to say that they never saw their mom yell or scream at them. That she never lost her temper, that she was always sweet and loving, and knew exactly the right way to discipline for every situation, that she was PERFECT!! I know that won't be the case but that can still be what I want. I really just believe in treating your family with respect ALWAYS even when they are being disrespectful.

Tomorrow is another day. I will do better, I will REALLY try. I love my little Nathan and I want to remember all the little things about him that have brought me so much joy. From the moment he was born I knew we were really in for it. I had never heard a baby cry that loud and that HIGH pitched. Even the doctors were amazed. That crying did not stop for the first few months of his life and even after that he was so temperamental about EVERYTHING.....and still is. He is so particular and sensitive about the smallest things and that can cause some stressful times. He didn't smile for the longest time and he was SO hard to get to laugh. He was throwing full on temper tantrums by the age of 6 months. Temper tantrums that included throwing his head back rolling around on the floor screaming and I mean for HOURS at a time. Matthew and Nathan have always had a special bond which I am grateful for because I have always had a harder time understanding Nathans needs.


It didn't take long for us to realize how really special Nathan is. Yes, he can get upset over the smallest things but I have also NEVER in my life seen a child with so much joy and excitement. This child will laugh and play with other children for HOURS. He will squeal in excitement if he sees a hot dog stand on the side of the road(not even knowing what a hot dog is.) He will talk for DAYS about the merry go round at the ZOO. Nathan is so full of life and I love that he doesn't mind showing it, he is ALWAYS trying to be silly and make others laugh. He encourages Daniel to show more excitement as well, because Daniel has been known to be a little too serious at times. Life would be boring without our little Nathan. I am thankful for his fun personality, I am thankful that he is friendly and says "hi" to EVERYONE he sees. I love that he chases his older friends around laughing and giggling the entire time. I love his laugh, his smile, and his magnificent blue eyes. He is so precious and I am proud that he is my first born son.















10 comments:

Brooke said...

What a sweet post to your lil' Nathan! He looks like such a fun little boy. And--I totally understand how frustrated you can get with yourself for getting upset with your kids. I found myself getting a little too upset too quickly today with Ellee...and she's already 3! So...I better shape up and hope she doesn't remember things well. :)

Wendy Noel said...

Kids are very forgiving, even 15 year olds. Thank Heavens!!!

Susie said...

Dear sweet Marianne, don't be so hard on yourself. You are a perfect mother -- abolutely perfect for your boys! It's only natural to get angry -- that doesn't mean you're imperfect -- just normal. You love your boys with every fiber in your being and always will, and they will ALWAYS know that -- even when they see you upset. They are infinitely blessed and so lucky to be your sons! You are the best!

Tasha said...

If that is the first time you have lost your temper with your little ones, I would say you are pretty close to perfect!

They are all so precious and everytime I go back to tell Tanner I am sorry, he immediately forgets and gives me all the cuddles I want!

I think I have learned more from him in the times that I have lost my temper than I would have if I had always been perfectly calm. Hopefully he will also learn something: that even mom and dad make a mistake and it is okay to admit it.

Brimaca said...

I wish I could say I rarely yelled! I wish I could say I was almost always respectful. You are amazing. The fact that you want to be something, will show through, and that is what they remember. You are so kind and gentle. I wish I was more like you. He is a beautiful boy. I actually really enjoyed getting to know more about him. I don't know that much about their separate personalities. Because I don't see them in person, I have no idea what they are like. So share share share!

Brimaca said...

I wish I could say I rarely yelled! I wish I could say I was almost always respectful. You are amazing. The fact that you want to be something, will show through, and that is what they remember. You are so kind and gentle. I wish I was more like you. He is a beautiful boy. I actually really enjoyed getting to know more about him. I don't know that much about their separate personalities. Because I don't see them in person, I have no idea what they are like. So share share share!

Amy Piller said...

so cute, I remember when he would sit on Grant's lap and let him read him a story. Grant loved that!

Mrs. JM said...

what a sweet post. a toddler without their nap is not fun. i applaud you for collecting yourself so quickly after losing your cool!

Emily said...

Like wendy said, kids are forgiving thank heavens. They cherish our love more than anything. Those pictures are priceless. I am constantly amazed at your abilities to have twins and you always seem to be thriving. You are a great example.

Nick and Stacey said...

You are a great mom...those boys are so lucky to have you! I think every mom feels like you do at some point...I don't think you would be really human if you didnt...anyways cute post...and cute little boy! This may seem silly, but in that last picture the numbers and alphabet, do you have them just on your wall? Cute idea, what do you do with them....you always have the best ideas...let me in on your secrets....