Monday, October 12, 2009

Content

As Matthew nears the end of law school I can’t help but look back on the last three years of our life. I knew that going to an EXPENSIVE law school with two little boys was going to mean a LOT of sacrifices. The adjustment has not been too hard considering I have now spent ten years living in the world of college /mission life(no money.) But I would be lying if I didn’t say that Matt and I have always spoken in the form of “when we have money….”

Someday we want a little house of our own with a big backyard for our kids to play. I want a beautiful garden with a sprinkler system like the one I had when I was little…perfect for running through. I want a reliable minivan. Yes I said minivan, with enough money to pay for gas. I have been longing for my OWN computer for a reeeaallly long time now, and a really nice camera that doesn’t take an hour in between each snapshot. I want to take a sewing class, and a photography class. I would love some new cowgirl boots, and some cute headbands and flowers clips for my hair (that my friend Katy sells.) I would love my boys to have real beds and not sleep on mattresses on the floor. I would love it if I didn’t have to buy my boys p.j.’s 5 sizes to big so they could wear them for the next five years. I would love to get my haircut every six weeks instead of every six months. A pedicure would be fun at least once a year. Just one overnighter with my husband at a fun hotel would be nice, since that hasn’t happened in ALL of our three years of marriage. Yes, there are a lot of things that I want, and I don’t think that is bad. It’s ok to have dreams, and Matthew and I have BIG dreams for our family. Not living below poverty level anymore is exciting for us.

HOWEVER…..

As I knelt down to pray last night I was again reminded of all I do have, you know the basics…..a husband who as he says, “loves every inch of me!” two beautiful children, a roof over our heads that has A.C. and pretty painted walls. Good healthy food to eat. Old friends and new ones, and a family who supports us and loves us. Above all we have the gospel of Jesus Christ that gives us an inner peace that can’t come from anywhere else.

So, even if we can never afford a flat screen t.v., new SHARP kitchen knives, a cell phone that doesn't have to be recharged every three hours, or even my long awaited minivan, its ok, we will be ok. We have everything we need, it isn’t much, but it really is all we need. How great it is to have the scriptures to teach us the importance of families, and a prophet who encourages us to stay out of debt and live within our means, because that’s were our joy will come from.

I hope when I am in my 80’s I have my husband by my side as well as my beautiful children and grandchildren. I hope we all have strong testimonies of the Savior and find more joy from giving than receiving. I know it sounds sappy. But it is true. It won’t be the flat screen t.v. or our high-tech cell phones that bring us joy. It will be all the important things that I already now have………and that is why I am perfectly content

14 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Great post, Marianne! You are always good at keeping things in perspective. Although it's tough while we're in college, I'm sure we'll miss a few things about the college life (e.g., husbandless dinners, weekly playgroups so us moms don't go crazy, laughing with friends about our impoverished circumstances). Thanks for being part of so many great college memories! We love you guys!

Tasha said...

You have always been an inspiration to me!
So glad to know you!!

Brooke said...

Great insight! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that buys clothes WAY too big for my kiddies. :) We've been feeling like we need to be better with a budget lately. We don't NEED all the things we think we do. Thanks for the reminder!

tiare said...

i love your perspective marianne! it's great to know that we aren't really missing out on things when we cherish eternal things more.

Mrs. JM said...

great post marianne. here's to sharp knives!

Brimaca said...

Beautiful and so true. I actually miss the days where we lived like that. Funny huh? There's something to be said for having to sacrifice and rely on small things. You are awesome and I love you! ;)

Wendy Noel said...

Very nice Marianne, I still buy things a little too big hoping it will last longer. Enjoy the time you have left, they will be memories that you look on fondly forever. It may not seem like it, but it IS a great time in your little family's life!!

jessi said...

Just remember, this too shall pass. I am glad you are cherishing your poor times, because in a little while you will have the house, the mini van, etc. and you will look back and say...."Remember how simple life use to be? How we were so happy with nothing?" I think it is important to learn how to be happy with what Heavenly Father has given us for the time being. It is a great learning experience to have nothing, and then when you do have something it is a lot easier to empathize with those who don't!

Amy Piller said...

You are so right, I needed this post right now. I feel like I have so much more than I deserve and yet I still what. I need to remember that all I really want I have, Grant, Family, the Gospel and Friends. Love you Girl!

Melanie Chambers said...

Oh that is the nicest post.

Melanie Chambers said...

Oh that is the nicest post.

Nick and Stacey said...

Marianne, you seriously are the greatest...you have no idea how much I needed that post today...what a great thought........and how exciting to be almost out of the school era....onto new things, congrats!

Susie said...

It's hard to type when I'm all weepy eyed. You are the sweetest person! You are making tremendous sacrifices with such a great attitude. I wish you all those things you long for. Let's get a pedicure next weekend -- my treat!

Michelle said...

This is a great post Marianne! I was sitting here stressing about buying Christmas presents and this put everything into perspective. I too, have "all the basics" but it's so easy to forget that, isn't it? Thanks for the thought provoking post and allowing me some insight in the way you think!