Monday, December 17, 2007

Traveling with twins

So for anyone who wants to know what it's like to travel with twins.....let me explain. First of all the night befor the flight our cute little Daniel who has always slept through the night, is now teething and lets just say we started our loooong day going on about three ours of interupted sleep. We were all so tired and Daniel was very grumpy. We were prepared with 50 pair of earplugs and we informed everyone sitting around us on the flight that we would be happy to give them a pair if our little munchkins have a hard time. Keep in mind our twins our 9 months old and they want to be everywhere but sitting on our laps. Our babies can't even make it through sacrament meeting just sitting on our laps so 6 hours on our laps in the air in crammed seating was not the most fun thing I've ever done. Before the plane even took off Daniel started crying and Matt looked at me with a very flushed face and said..... "I can't do this!!" I honestly thought he was going to get off the plane. We said a lot of prayers and with 6 hours in the air and two lay overs we finally made it to UTAH, YEAH!!! We are glad to be here but now we all have jet lag and we are dealing with getting our babies back on some sort of schedule (being off our time by two hours). Anyway it will be a Merry Christmas and them we will be back on the plane for another long stressful trip home.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh my goodness! I am SOOO sorry...I completely understand the stress of travelling with a baby! Well...I guess I just flew with one, but it was all by myself when I went out to Indiana from Utah in May. A 2-hour layover in Chicago turned into an 8 1/2 hour layover with bad weather (in New York where our plane was.) It was AWFUL! Ellee had a blow-out all over herself and then plopped herself right on the airport floor...so there was poop everywhere! I didn't have spare clothes--but, they wouldn't have helped at that point because she was already down to just her shirt from a previous blow-out right when we got off the plane. So...she was naked for several hours sitting there in this airport. Then, when our plane finally got there, we had to go outside to board it (it was a small plane). I felt a little ghetto with this naked baby outside trying to manage my bag and the stroller. When we finally arrived in Indiana at almost midnight, Blake wasn't there to pick us up. We were starving! And...of course nothing was open, my cell phone was dead and I didn't have coins to make a call or didn't even know his number. Miraculously my parent's old 800 number that they cancelled years ago still worked and I still remembered the number. My mom called Blake and he headed to the airport. He had been watching online for when my flight would depart from Chicago and it had never listed as departed, so he just kept waiting until my mom called. Bad part was that he was still an hour away. We didn't get to his house until like 3 in the morning. We both ended up getting sick and I couldn't taste a thing for 3 days. Then, we got Blake and his wife sick, who turned around and got my parents sick a week later when they went out to Indiana to help Blake move. It was a pretty exciting trip! :)
Anyway... :) I hope your visit is a LOT of fun and that your trip back goes well! I wish we could see you!

Marianne and Matt said...

WOW, I don't know how you did that by yourself(even with one I'm sure that was a challenge). And a lay over that long would have done me in. I do understand the blow out thing cause during the longest part from Burmingham to Vegas we couldn't really change diapers so by the time we got to vegas they were both soaked and starving but we didn't have a lot of time so we were trying to eat, change them and feed them in like a half hour. And by the way......I am now sick as well and Nathan was sick the first day we got here. Anyway, we are happy to be here but it has been kind of stressful so far. We are hoping things will get a little better:)

Noel Family said...

Nice, the ear plug thing is a genius idea. Did anyone take you up on it? That would be hilarious. I'm glad you made the trek. It was good to see you all again. The Twinkies are way cute . We are in Idaho for Christmas this year, but we'll see you again before you leave.

Brimaca said...

When we flew with Malachi last year I was still breastfeeding so I deprived him of sleep beforehand and then breastfed him and he slept the rest of the flight. It was awesome! With two I can see that wouldn't quite work but it worked great with one! We'll see how our next travel goes when I have two kids.