Saturday, March 17, 2012

Valentines Day.









Valentines day is a special day. We started some new traditions this year and we continued with some of our old ones. One new tradition is to send out Valentine cards each year instead of Christmas cards. We also started a tradition of passing out flowers to the ladies at care centers. This year we chose Apple Village since that is where my Grandpa Noel spent the last years of his life. I had my dad come along so he could help with Marie and I could help my shy boys pass around the flowers. I was a little nervous at first because the boys seemed so hesitant whenever I would talk to them about it. Nathan flat out said he didn't want to go. But once they got started they didn't want to stop. On the way home the both said " I want to do that again!!" We all really loved it. Reminded me again that the best part of holidays is the giving not the getting.
We didn't do the tradition of St. Valentine ringing our doorbell dropping off a little gift and running away, mainly because we had to choose between that and the flowers or this holiday would have been a pretty expensive one.
We did however keep our tradition of decorating Valentine cookies and delivering them to neighbors. It was kind of a lot to squeeze into one day but it was worth it.
A 2012 Valentines day highlight. I pick my kids up from preschool after they just had their Valentine's party. I ask them if they had fun. Daniel replies "ya, and I have a girlfriend......and she kissed me." He said it like it was just no big deal, just part of life. Nathan said he did NOT have a girlfriend and did Not want one.....I like his way of thinking. Later in the week, I hear Daniel say "AWWWK,,,,,WAAARD" pretty much just "awkward" in a really girlie way. I had to laugh, he told me that is what his girlfriend always says. Wow! I guess this love stuff really starts pretty early.
So my plan is to make Valentines day a day of love and service not a mushy, gushy, romantic holiday where my kids feel bad if they don't have a "Valentine." I know it won't work, but it's my plan.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

What a great idea! I bet all those ladies were in love with your two cute boys.

Amy Piller said...

YOu are such a good mom! I want to be like you some day!! Love you Mern!

Brimaca said...

I am sooo glad you do this. This is one of out favorite things to do. I am always trying to get people to come with me. If only we lived by each other. I feel it's one of my calling in life to take care of the elderly. So glad to see this.

Susie said...

Very, very sweet. Lots of love given and shared.