Tuesday, October 11, 2011

picky about preschool

Finding the right preschool was difficult for me, and probably not for the reasons you would expect. You see I spent A LOT of time this last year substitute teaching for my sister in laws Kindergarten class. I was shocked how much these little kids are expected to learn in such a short time. The full day of Kindergarten is full of curriculum, curriculum, curriculum. Not much time for imagination, or dramatic play. It's all about testing....all kinds of testing to find out where your kid falls in every category imaginable. My sister in law is the best teacher EVER. Putting everything into her class and making it as fun as possible, but she agrees.....kids really can't just be kids for very long. It makes me a little sad.

I am all for learning your abc's and your numbers, but when did we start having to teach our kids to read before they could even walk? I want my kids to stay kids as long as possible. I want them to play and enjoy life, I want them to stay busy but not over scheduled with all kinds of lessons, and music, and sports. Really I am not too worried about my kids learning the things they need to know, I am more worried about them having to grow up to fast.

So I did find the perfect teacher. She is educated and so much fun. The kids take buckets to school instead of back packs because their art projects are usually to big for a back pack anyway. They come home from school not with buckets full of paper work but pieces of cut paper glued on more pieces of cut paper.....looks like scraps to throw away but really it is a fine motor skills masterpiece. They come home with a desire to learn more, and to practice letters and numbers on their own. They are amazing me everyday with what they are learning, and most importantly they are still able to be four, not worried about anything but just being their age.

















5 comments:

Emily said...

i totally agree, in fact I put kate in tumbling instead of pre-school. She knows what she needs to because of her older siblings. I didn't want her in that just yet. We are still having a great time at home. However I am sure she would love a class like that!

Aunt Suzi Quilts said...

I totally agree with you there. That might be why I am not willing to pay an exorbitant amount for preschool when the most important thing they are supposed to be learning is how to play and socialize with others. Hence, the preschool co-op. It's really just a structured play date. Thanks for sharing this with us, and so glad to not be alone in my thinking.

Brimaca said...

I am so with you!! That's why Libby is in a program called children's day out. It's like preschool but more fieldtrips and fun and it's cheaper.
I too have struggled with them being made to grow up too fast. I am excited that Little Damon will be almost six when he starts school. I going to keep him home and play with him and love it!

Tasha said...

Such a great reminder! Love their pics!
It is really tricky to find the perfect balance of imagination/play and abc/123. My theory is that the kids had better have fun, and get excited about learning!

jessi said...

Your boys are getting so big! That preschool looks way fun- i wish there was one like that around here!!!