Thursday, December 30, 2010

They can't ruin our Christmas!

We were visiting from Florida during our boys first Christmas. Heading back we of course had our suitcases packed FULL of all our stuff and Christmas presents. These things meant a LOT to us being as we were poor law students. Our luggage was stolen, I mean EVERYTHING, all the boys toys, clothes, books, and our camera containing pictures of their first Christmas. I cried and felt sorry for myself for a few days, and even now I miss some of those worldly items that really just can't be replaced.

So, this year it is the night before Christmas Eve. I am more excited about this Christmas then I have been in a long time. I have taken the time to ponder the real meaning of Christmas and I can't help but smile every time I think about my sweet boys opening their present. I tell Matthew to get the gifts out of the back of the car so I can spend the evening wrapping presents. Matthew comes back a little devastated to tell me that EVERYTHING has been stolen. Our main present for for our boys...which wasn't cheap, and all my presents from Matthew. I am not concerned about my gifts but I am devastated that the boys won't be getting what they expected they would get. I call my mom in tears. Within minutes my dad finds the exact same toys on the Internet and is off to Toys R Us at 11:00pm to replace our gifts....plus more. We were asked not to repay him.

I know Christmas means more than the gifts we give or get. I know it's a whole lot more important that just stuff. However, watching my children on Christmas morning and the light and excitement they had, is for me the magic of the Holiday. The thieves out there did not ruin our Christmas for the second time. What they did is remind me how thankful I am to have a loving, caring Father who went out of his way to make sure our Christmas was wonderful. What that did is remind me even more importantly of my loving Heavenly Father who has blessed us and will continue to bless us through every detail of our lives, even enough to send us his own Son.

As hard as it is to say, I am thankful that I don't have complete control of my life, a lot of things would happen quite differently if I had it my way, but I don't. I am learning to see that His way really is the better way.

"He puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas.....perhaps....means a little bit more!"



12 comments:

jessi said...

Oh my heavens! I can't believe someone would steal all your Christmas presents!! I am so grateful you have a dad who was able to go and buy some presents for your Kids. Christmas is so much more fun as an adult as we get to see our kids with the light in there eyes opeing there gifts. I'm so sorry Marianne! That is so sad. Things will turn up soon. Blessings come after the trials, and you guys have had some MAJOR trials so you are due for some seriously awesome blessings!

Lindsey and Zach said...

oh my heck, oh my heck, oh my heck!you're family is being prepared for something important Marianne is all I can say because that may not seem all that big to some people, but when things like this continue to test you over and over again I think it's a way to prepare you for bigger and better things! Considering all you have been through it is amazing what you choose to do with it and it proves so much to the Lord of how worthy you are of blessings! I love you guys and still can't believe this happened, but what an amazing dad you have, just in that you are so lucky and blessed.

tiare said...

OH. MY. HECK. that is seriously messed up! i am too naive. i can't imagine people doing something so cruel....TO CHILDREN!!! it's so sad.
i love your upbeat, optimistic attitude! you're such a good mother. glad you were able to still surprise the boys!!!

Susie said...

Marianne, I cannot believe this happened to you twice at Christmas. I mean, what are the chances of that? That was just horrible that your car was robbed of all the gifts. It's miraculous that your dad was able to buy the same gifts for your boys. What a relief the store wasn't sold out. I loved seeing the happy faces of your boys with their gifts. Priceless! Happy New Year!!! Love ya!

P.S. I am the nursery leader in Primary now. Wish they were here. Wish you were here.

Emily said...

Wow, that is unbelievable! I am so sorry, what devastation and unbelief! I kind of was waiting for a punch line like you were kidding or something. But wow, and awesome that your dad could step in last minute! What a blessing. I am glad you had a merry christmas and were given that opportunity to ponder and make your christmas more meaningful.

Tasha said...

What rotten luck!! How blessed you are to have such wonderful family. I loved reading your post! It helped brighten my holiday.

Mrs. JM said...

your dad is neat. the people who did that, who stole your gifts from your car, i feel very bad for them. their motivation and their justification is beyond comprehension. i can't imagine how pitiful their lives must be. i'm happy to know you and the wonderful person you are. it takes great courage and resilience to rise above and find your smile at times like that. good for you! i'm glad to hear your christmas was merry regardless.

Alayna said...

Oh my goodness! Why would someone do that? Man, your luck...

But I am so glad that you were able to have a nice Christmas! You guys definitely deserve it. Frank is the man!

Brimaca said...

You know I kinda know how you feel. It wasn't Christmas but we had gone on a shopping spree. The pictures that are gone still get me teary-eyes.

Melanie Chambers said...

That is such a sad story but a good story because of the way you reacted. You are such a positive, happy, upbeat person. What christmas memories you'll have to remember for years to come.

Nicole said...

I remember the story about it happening the first time! That's so sad that it happened again!! You're lucky to have such wonderful family members, though.

Amanda B. said...

I'm sorry! It is so frustrating that there are people like that out there. I can't believe this happened for a 2nd time. Hearing what your parents did made me smile. It's nice to be reminded that people love you. Now you know for sure that you have lots of friends and family who love you and your cute boys!