Thursday, July 15, 2010

Not one single tear.

Daniel is my child who loves watching real life surgeries on tv as well as those very graphic shows depicting women giving birth. We found this out by accident just by flipping through the channels as Daniel yells "stop, stop, I like this one." Either he is strange or he is preparing for his career as a doctor.

On this particular day there was a utility knife razor blade sticking out of the planter boxes that were built in my mother-in-laws backyard. Daniel walked by it and it sliced his leg. It was a long cut and very deep.

He calmly walked up to me with blood all over his leg and said "look mommy, owie." He didn't cry as we got him ready to go to the hospital. He didn't cry on the way to the emergency room or even when we arrived. The doctor came in and told him that he had to put something on his cut and it might sting. No tears, just tons of questions about everything in the room and what it does. He also told every nurse that came in "thank you." They brought a crew in to hold him down as they gave him the shots to deaden the cut. They soon realized they would need no one to hold him down, just someone to answer his questions about the light above him, and the moniters behind him. He moaned a few times during the shots but he never cried and he loved watching the nurse stitch him up . The doctors kept commenting on how amazing he was. I'm pretty proud of my little trooper as well. I have to agree he is pretty amazing.

The next day we went to the cabin for our fourth of July celebration. My adorable and very dramatic twin nieces, watched as I changed Daniels bandages. When they saw the cut they both started screaming, "OH MY GOSH THAT IS SO HUGE, how sad, poor Daniel." Over and over they yelled such things until my calm little boy got very nervous for the first time. "put it back on, put it back on!!!" he said bursting into tears. And that was the most traumatic part of the whole event.
When we went back to get his stiches out he was a little nervous. He did great and when it was all over I asked him if he had been scared. He said "I pray to Jesus."
Man, that kid melts my heart.

4 comments:

tiare said...

too funny! i think it's interesting how some kids are fascinated, while others freak out!!!

Wendy Noel said...

That makes me cry!! What a good mommy you are. (And matt is a good dad too!)

Tasha said...

Wow, he really is one tough kid! I am so glad we have blogs, it is super fun to see your little boys growning up!

I hope you guys are still surviving and Matt is making it through!

Michelle said...

Hi Marianne,

Just catching up on your blog, and this is the most amazing story! Highly entertaining. Take care :)