Sunday, September 27, 2009

National Sewing Month

Did you know that September is national sewing month? I didn't either until my friend Katy informed me and then invited me to her "Sewing Soiree." I don't know a thing about sewing but Katy knows EVERYTHING about it, and she is amazing. Her and her five girls come to church in beautiful clothing and accessories all handmade by her. She inspires me.

This particular night I was going to start a skirt. I found the pattern I wanted but not the right material. I am still looking. So I decided to enlist in Katy's help to replace a zipper in my old skirt. It turned out perfect. When I returned home Matt was a little curious as to why it took me ALL night just to replace a zipper( I think he was expecting a new dress, with all the time I was gone.) Little does he know that sewing girls really know how to PARTAYYYY!

Have you ever had water with watermelon in it? It's very refreshing.

What about coconut-avocado ice cream dusted with cloves? I was a little skeptical at first but it was seriously AMAZING. I know you wish you had a friend like Katy.......I think she knows how to do everything, and pretty much perfectly.



That is me in the brown and white stripes sewing my little heart out.










And of course Katy doesn't just hang store bought lights in her tree like everyone else. These are candles in baby food jars hanging from wire hand hung and lit throughout the entire tree. It looked so beautiful.


I now hope to sew a whole lot more, and I am "sew" glad I have a friend who can help. I REALLY need it.










8 comments:

Brimaca said...

Can you say overwhelming jealous?!!

Also, did you take these pics? I want to know how to blur the background like that.

No Big Dill said...

It was so delightful to have you come! I told Ryan I want you as my next door neighbor. Yes?

tiare said...

so much fun! these are such fun party ideas....perhaps katy should write a book!!!!
can't wait to see your final skirt product!

Emily said...

keep us updated. that sounds so very exciting. I would love to be a seamstress as well!

Amberdawn said...

What a fun party! The tree looked great!

Tasha said...

Okay, so I might totally steal that idea! I hope all is well, and how much longer do you two plan to be in the Sunshine state.

No Big Dill said...

Tasha, I don't think we're letting them leave for quite sometime. We're quite fond of the Lorz family.

Michelle said...

I definitely need a friend like Katy! Last week I wore pants that had a busted zipper and am not handy enough to fix it myself.
Looks like you all had a blast!