Thursday, September 23, 2010

What's on the menu?

Today I spent the morning helping at the Ellis Elementary cafeteria. I am a substitute teacher for the Cache Valley school district and once in awhile I help out in the cafeteria. So, today I served breakfast to about 100 children.
White bun, rubber eggs, and plastic cheese (they call it a breakfast sandwich.)
Or, you could have cereal.
Most Popular choice.......Cocoa puffs (12 grams sugar) with Chocolate milk (30 grams sugar.) You do the math.
Have a GREAT day kiddos, study hard, play hard, learn a lot, and stay focused!!!
The school district may not like this post, after this morning that is the least of my worries!
SERIOUSLY???? The schools need a little more education in this area.

5 comments:

Tasha said...

I have seriously wondered how the school can get aways with the food that they serve?!?

The sad fact is that a large percent of the kids eat there two meals a day now! Glad you could have some fun.

tiare said...

are you kidding me? that is AWFUL!!! i don't know if you've heard of the show "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" but in one episode he was teaching first graders about fruits and vegetables. The objective of the lesson was to determine how many students could correctly identify healthy foods on display. Not surprising when a number of the children COULD NOT name foods such as broccoli, plums, cauliflower, etc. SO SAD! come on parents!!! educate your kids by feeding them these foods! secondly, quit letting them watch TV where every other commericial glorifies some type of processed, high fat, high sugar content food!
can you tell you pressed a button of mine? i'm totally on your side!
on a positive note.....SO NICE OF YOU TO HELP OUT IN THE SCHOOLS!!!

Amanda B. said...

What a great way to jump-start the day! I thought of your homemade granola bars the other day. You are always good at finding a way to make tasty foods a little healthier. Well done! Maybe you can sneak an apple on the kids' plates next time you sub.

Mrs. JM said...

gross!

Brimaca said...

Every school I've taught at was like that. ALL OF THEM! That is why I always packed a lunch and why my kids will always have a packed lunch. Makes me sad for those kids that have no choice but to eat breakfast at school and lunch.